Tissue Paper Skulls

Many discount stores, during the holidays, release small do-it-yourself kid’s crafts. This year, Target had these wooden paint it yourself decorations for $1 each. It was hard not to buy all of the different shapes they had just to decorate.

This was the completed one, using the Skelton set they had. Each of these sets were two parts, the display piece and a base that it sat on to keep it standing.

Ingredients

1 Wooden Decorate Yourself item

1 Halloween Napkin (I used one I already had, but any sort of decorative two ply napkin you like is great)

Small Halloween themed rubber stamps (up to you how many you want to use as I used 4)

Black Pigment ink

Black and White Embossing Powder

Heat gun

Black and White ink/gel pens

Some decorative pearls

Foam tape

Googley eyes

Spider Sticker

Glue (can be any collage medium adhesive like Modge podge or Elmer’s White)

Glitter glue

Distress Inks in light brown (Vintage Photo) and Orange

6×6 card stock in orange

With all the mixed media products I had, I decided on this one to use holiday napkins and rubber stamps to decorate.

Many years ago I was gifted with paper napkins with these really cool vintage designs. In order to use them for this, you have to peel the layers apart on the napkin carefully to get to the top layer.

Peeling the design layer from the bottom white layer.

Using Matt medium (you can use any sort of glue safe for wood and paper) I spread it heavily on the face of the skull and attached the napkin, trying to make sure no air bubbles are left between napkin and wood.

I used my heat gun to speed up the drying process once the napkin was placed.

Grabbing some small stamps, I used pigment inks and embossed them using both white and black powders.

Wanting more contrast, I used black to fill in the eyes and other areas.

Using a gel pen I did some white highlights and added some glitter glue here, but really didn’t like how it looked per se.

Added Googley Eyes for some whimsy.

I ended up stamping out some candy corns on cardstock, hand colored them, and mounted them as teeth with foam tape.

I used the same tissue paper and glued it to the base leaving the center clear. Be careful about adding too much paper or extra stuff as the skull needs to stand in the slot.

I sanded the inside of the track out to allow the skull to stand firm.

Using a Tim Holtz embossing folder, I decorated a piece of card stock for the back of the skull. Using Vintage Photo ink pad, I rubbed it on the inside of the embossing folder on the raised pieces, then embossed the orange paper. Before placing it down in the wood, I colored the flat part with orange ink, as well as coloring the edges black to give it a good finish. Then glued it down.

I went back with a black liner and white gel pens to make sure the images showed up. I also added a spider sticker and some pearls. With that, I was done.

Looking forward to experimenting with the other kits I bought.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s